Taking care of your new baby is an exciting and overwhelming experience. Don’t worry, as long as you attend to your child’s every need, your little family would be fine. One of the first baby necessities that must be purchased are baby diapers. There are plenty of baby diaper brands in Malaysia that you can choose from. Your main concern for this is nappy rash. Nappy rash is pretty common for babies, not just newborns.
Nappy rash is normally caused by:
- Bubble bath, soap and detergent
- Alcohol-based baby wipes
- Effect of antibiotics
- Frequent baby skin contact with poo or wee for a long time
- Diapers rubbing against the baby’s skin
- Not changing the nappy often, and cleaning the nappy area
Red patches may appear at your baby’s bottom. His skin would feel hot to touch, and look sore. This is the reason why you must always watch out for blisters, pimples and spots. Nappy rash wouldn’t always feel sore, but if it’s a severe case, your kid would feel distressed and uncomfortable.
Treating Nappy Rash
In case your little one gets nappy rash, you can treat it yourself. Apply a thin layer of cream to protect your baby’s skin. Ask your physician or pharmacist to recommend one.
- Lie the child on a towel. Leave the diaper off for as long as you can. This will help fresh air get into his skin.
- Don’t use lotions, soap and bubble bath.
- Never use talcum powder. Its ingredients can irritate your child’s skin.
- Change dirty or wet diapers as soon as possible.
- Clean the entire nappy area thoroughly and gently, wiping both sides. Use alcohol-free, fragrance-free baby wipes.
- Bath your child every day. However, avoid bathe him two times each day, since this will dry his skin.
- Avoid vigorous rubbing.
If you follow simple hygiene tips, diaper rash would clear up in around 3 days. In case the rash stays on for quite a while, causing extreme discomfort to the baby, then it’s time to consult a physician.